Thursday, January 25, 2007

Thank you so much Beth and Julie!! You made my day too!! Here is the picture of the underside, much closer. Sorry for the crappy photography, the cell phone will only do so much and husband has the camera cord (grumble grumble grumble)


But you can kinda see what I was talking about with the weaving back through and where the ends started poking out after washing. I now have a theory about washing these items and won't throw it in the machine with everything else anymore. Yep delicate cycle with Woolite for me, dang it. I think one of the reasons it started raveling is that I washed all of the wax out of the silk. Oh well, live and learn.
And I am still working on the red and gold dress, couching miles of gold braid on for the third (and final) time. That's my "can't think right now" or "riding long distances in the car" project because the pattern is drawn on with black ink, so it's just follow the line with the braid. And yes, I have couched the bodice 3 times with different stuff until I got the right look, but I'm only doing the sleeves and hem once:>) I am working on more complicated projects if I have the brainpower, so progress on the red is sporadic. But no hurry on that one, I want it to be as perfect as I can get it at my current skill level.
I am also very much a novice blogger, so bear with me while I learn all the ins and outs.

The Green Dress Calls from the sewing room........
Later,
Alliessa

3 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Ah, I see what you mean on the back side. Thanks for all the advice! I'll be applying that to the blackworked caul I'm working on. It isn't Holbein, so the back won't be beautiful, but I can at least make it a bit nicer. What sort of silk floss do you like to use?

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Allessia said...

I'm still working on that decision. The camicia is in Kreilek silk floss, but I was unhappy with how it raveled and frayed while I sewed it, hence the waxing it to death. That helped with the fraying/breaking/screaming and throwing across the room situation. What I REALLY liked was silk sewing thread (it was made for machine sewing but pure silk), but I can't find it anymore locally. So I will be trying new brands on future projects. Any recomendations?? I am going to Gulf Wars in March and will have access to merchants who specialize in reenactment stuff that can be hard to find sometimes.....

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Julebug said...

Silk sewing threads, you say? When you use the sewing thread, do you do a single strand, or do you multiply it for thicker work?

Beth and I were *this* close to buying that out of desperation for silk thread (silk floss is simply not available locally). Figures that they were out of black...I'll have to go back for a spool and compare that to the silk floss I just ordered from bsharpfabrics.com.

If you're still looking, the only brand of silk sewing thread I've seen around is Gutterman brand--maybe look for that? And I'll post a little review of the new floss when I get it in (its listed as YLI brand). It'll be my first silk floss, so I don't have any other rec's. Oh, except for some very shiny silk floss I found on ebay. It is from a China-based seller, so the shipping is high, but the luster is fantastic.

Wax. I must remember to wax. I actually have some of that now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home