Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Well, I actually finished the camicia sometime in November. Every. Last. Handsewn. Stitch. I have been debating about doing another line of embroidery to match the Eleanora portraits, but I think it can wait until I am sure this is what I want in the end. I did not enter this into competition. (I didn't get the documentation finished) but I am entering it in a couple of weeks. I am not totally thrilled with the whole thing, but was it a learning experience and I am something of a perfectionist. I have also discovered that my cellphone has a camera. Amazing that I never noticed that considering that I work for the cellphone company, SO NO MORE WAITING ON THE HUSBAND (who is traveling so much right now that the dog doesn't recognize him at times) OK, it's not the best film picture quality, but HEY I can do this myself without wanting to hit anyone over missing cords, dead batteries, or incompatible software. So without further ado.

Total Camicia on a hanger

<
Closeup of interior and exterior of the embroidered sleeve. I think it turned out OK as reversible. And hey! I figured out the picture thing!! Yay me. So in celebration, I will post the pictures of the inspiration!!!


This is the camicia that I want, and that I made with the big floppy cuffs and the poofs through the slits in the sleeves. Even the embroidery is similar, but not exactly the same. I modified a pattern out of Il Burato by Paginino from the early 16th century. My Italian is not good enough yet to translate. But I can do numbers. (sort of)


This is the dress that I want. I have begun the embroidery process for couching miles of gold Russian braid on red cotton velvet. The portrait dress is probably silk, but I got to see this dress in person.

And I decided that I wanted velvet. A red velvet peticotte with gold embroidery. I've decided on black linen and silk pair of bodies for umm wrangling (although the peticotte itself is stiffened too) And I may make a Turkish gown after it's all over, I don't know.

But in the mean time, I'm working on the green overdress for the Pumpkin and I'll post more pics later. Right now is nasty canvas underlining to get the bodice to fit correctly but now that I have picture thing figured out, I'll do MORE!!!

2 Comments:

At 7:58 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Gorgeous blackwork! The back side is just amazingly clean. It is Holbein stitch? I've been trying to improve my rather shaky blackwork!

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Allessia said...

Yes, it is Holbien. I'll try to get better pictures of the underside so you can see. The 10 foot rule is going to apply here, when you get really close up you can see the mess. But what I did to start a new thread was sew over the ends and then a little slip knot stitch. When I came to the end of the pattern or ran out of thread, I rewove back along the pattern on the underside in kind of a whip stitch like way and did the tiniest slip knot stitch again before snipping. It's not perfect,and some of the ends have come out slightly after washing (it got nested on by my black cat who snuck in the sewing room one morning) but unless you are just right on it, those things don't show as much. I also waxed the daylights out of the thread which helped make it slide through the linen easier. And I tried to keep my stitches even, that's the hard part. The linen is 3.5 oz from fabric-store.com and is fairly even weave so that helps too. The next weight up is not so evenly woven for some reason (I made my first one out of that)and the stitching are not nearly so even.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home